Orofacial myology (OM) is the neuromuscular re-education or re-patterning of the oral and facial muscles. OM identifies and helps to correct issues such as:
- Facial pain related to the muscles in the face, tongue, neck or jaw joint pain (TMD)
- OM restores normal function of the muscles of the face and mouth.
What can lead to an Orofacial Myofunctional Disorder?
Improper oral habits such as:
- Grinding and clenching of the teeth, nail biting
- Thumb/finger/dummy or blanket sucking
- Restricted airways (enlarged tonsils or adenoids/ allergies to name a few)
- Tongue tie
What are the orofacial myology symptoms in children?
- Thumb sucking
- Tongue Tie
- Incorrect speech patterns
- Breathing issues and allergies
- Chewing and swallowing patterns
How can we help you?
At Parkside Dental we take a holistic approach to your oral and dental health care with Jennie being our in-house qualified facial myologist.
After a thorough assessment we can devise a program to get your muscles working and to allow both adults and children to be free of facial pain.